United Way of Greater Cincinnati Needs Tax Preparer Volunteers
United Way is seeking volunteers to help provide free tax preparation to low-income families at more than 30 local sites through the Regional Earned Income Tax Credit Collaborative (EITC) initiative. Volunteers are needed to help prepare returns with easy-to-use computer software.
No previous experience is necessary. Volunteers will receive free IRS tax training and certification, allowing them to learn a skill that may be beneficial in their personal and professional lives. Their assistance will help families avoid preparation fees and high interest rate refund anticipation loans.
Work schedules are flexible and volunteers can also participate as screeners/greeters or as translators instead of tax preparers. There are over 30 different tax prep sites in Southwestern Ohio, Northern Kentucky, and Eastern Indiana with hours available during the day, at night or on weekends during tax season, January 31 to April 15, 2013.
EITC is the nation’s largest anti-poverty program, benefitting families. Last year, more than 17,500 tax returns were filed locally, generating more than $20.2 million in refunds. Orientations are brief, lasting about one hour. Volunteers are welcome to attend orientation without registering, but for those interested in registering visit makeworkplay.com
Volunteer orientations are scheduled for:
- October 30, 5:30-7:30 p.m., United Way of Greater Cincinnati, 2400 Reading Rd, Cincinnati OH 45202
- November 15, 7-8 p.m., Elder High School Schaeper Center, 4005 Glenway Ave, Cincinnati OH 45202
- November 20, 6-7:30 p.m., Workforce One of Butler County, 4631 Dixie Highway, Fairfield OH 45014
- December 4, 6-7:30 p.m., Workforce One of Butler County, 4631 Dixie Highway, Fairfield OH 45014
- October 30, 6-7:30 p.m., Center for Great Neighborhoods, 1650 Russell Street, Covington KY 41011
- November 8, 6-7:30 p.m., Center for Great Neighborhoods, 1650 Russell Street, Covington KY 41011
To volunteer or learn more about the Regional Earned Income Tax Credit Collaborative, visit www.makeworkpay.com/volunteer